1) For colds, flu, chest or sinus infections- put 2-4 drops in a sink full of boiling or very hot water. Cover your head with a towel and inhale the steam for 4-10 minutes, keeping eyes closed. May be used up to 4 times a day. You may also blend a few drops with lotion or oil and use to rub chest, back or sinus areas.
2) Rub a drop under your nostrils every 2-3 hours while you are in contact with people who may be sick. Those who are traveling, use public transportation, work in hospitals, nursing homes or with children find this very helpful.
3) Use in diffusers in the home or a sickroom when someone is ill to prevent contagion.
4) put 1 drop on a paper towel, wet with alcohol or Windex and wipe down points of contact such as door handles, phones, faucets, light switches, TV remotes etc. regularly during flu season.
5) Essential Defense 5 is a potent remedy, and should not be used in steam inhalation on a daily basis, or your body can become resistant to it (this happens with essential oils sometimes.). For simple pollen or other allergies and congestion steaming with eucalyptus oil is usually sufficient. For mild sinus problems lavender oil is effective. Eucalyptus and lavender are also safer for small children (see below), and are available on our website.